• English
  • 简体中文

User menu

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What is a Green Card?

A: A green card is proof of US Permanent Resident Status. A Green Card holder can live, work, and retire anywhere in the US.

Q: What is the EB-5 Program, and how does it help me get a Green Card through investment?

A: The EB-5 Program allows eligible non-US persons to obtain a Green Card for themselves and their families through job-creating investments in the US. In general, United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) will issue green cards to eligible non-US persons who invest at least USD $1,000,000 and create 10 jobs in the US. This money may be invested directly in a business to be run by the applicant, or individually through a regional center which can help avoid the need for direct involvement in the business. In addition, certain regions of the US, called TEAs, are eligible for a lower investment of USD $500,000. Our investments will qualify for the lower USD $500,000 threshold.

Q: What is a regional center? Do I need to make an EB-5 investment through a regional center?

A: A regional center is a US-government approved company which is entitled to make EB-5 investments in a designated geographical area. EB-5 investments do not need to be made through a regional center, but investments made through regional centers are allowed to count additional jobs, which make it more certain that the necessary 10 jobs are created for each investor. Our regional center will be focused on Southeast Louisiana, between the major cities of New Orleans and Baton Rouge, the state capital.

Q: If I invest with CARC, do I have to live in Southeast Louisiana?

A: No. You may live, work, and retire anywhere in the United States. In fact, you do not even have to visit Southeast Louisiana to receive your green card (though, of course, we encourage you to visit Louisiana, with its unique culture and great culinary tradition). You can live, work, and/or retire anywhere in the U.S., regardless of the location of your investment.

Q: Do I need to speak English to participate in the EB-5 program?

A: No. The EB-5 program does not have a language requirement, and you may participate without speaking English. However, we would advise that you retain English-speaking counsel, and both we and USCIS require that all documents pertaining to your application be translated into English.

Q: Do I need to have business experience or certain educational qualifications to participate in the EB-5 program?

A: No. The EB-5 program does not require that applicants have any particular education level, skills, or business experience. In addition, the passive nature of the EB-5 investment means that the liability of all applicants, even those without business experience, is protected through our limited partnership arrangement.

Q: Why should I invest in a regional center?

A: Investing through a regional center such as ours, as opposed to investing directly in a company, allows you to avoid playing a direct role in the day-to-day management of the company. Additionally, a regional center can count direct, indirect, and induced jobs, making it easier for us to ensure that the 10 jobs necessary for green card issuance have been created. Finally, our regional center takes care of providing evidence that these jobs have been created, making the investment truly passive.

Q: How can I start my investment with CARC?

A: Please see the Investment Timeline for more information on the investment process, and Contact Us to begin the investment process!

Q: Will my family also get a Green Card?

A: Yes, the green card can be issued to the applicant, as well as his or her spouse and children under 21 as a result of a single investment. Older children who wish to obtain a green card must make their own applications and investments; alternatively, a family can gift an investment to a child over the age of 21.

Q: How long will it generally take from the time of my I-526 petition and investment for my green card to be issued?

A: The process of Green Card issuance is within the control of USCIS, but if eligible, USCIS advises that the average processing time is approximately thirteen (13) months from submission of an I-526 application.

Q: What is a Conditional Green Card? What do I do to make it permanent?

A: A Conditional Green Card is a Green Card which is initially issued to successful I-526 applicants. It carries with it all of the rights of a Green Card, but is only valid for 2 years. During this time, investors must prove that ten (10) jobs have been created through their investment. CARC will provide its investors with the proof that they need to demonstrate that the ten (10) jobs have been created within this timeframe, and investors will submit this proof, along with an I-829 form, to USCIS in order to have the conditions removed and to make the Green Card permanent.

Q: Is my investment guaranteed?

A: Under USCIS rules, each investors’ investment must be ‘at-risk’. Therefore, any guarantee of the return of the investment, or of a specific financial return on the investment, is prohibited. (In fact, any regional center which provides guarantees of this nature places its investors’ applications at serious risk of rejection by USCIS). However, we intend to redeem the interests of our investors after a period of about five (5) years.

Q: Once I receive my conditional green card, how long must I wait before I can apply for full US citizenship?

A: Once you receive your conditional green card, you must wait five (5) years to apply for full US citizenship. Therefore, once you apply to remove the conditions attached to your conditional green card, you must wait only three (3) more years before you may apply for full US citizenship.

Q: Must I live in the United States full-time once I receive a green card?

A: The green card is issued to evidence permanent resident status. The holder must live in the US at least six months a year to have that year count towards the five-year residency requirement of qualifying for US citizenship.

Q: I Have a Job or Business Which Requires Me to Travel Internationally While I Have a Green Card. What Should I Do?

A: Green card holders may travel freely outside of the United States for less than six months out of the year. If you wish to travel abroad for more than six months out of a given year, applications for a travel permit may be made to USCIS, and up to three (3) may be granted. However, any time spent outside of the US may be counted against the applicant’s 30-month physical residence requirement to obtain full U.S. citizenship.

Q: This sounds great! How can I sign up?

A: For more information about the program, our regional center, our projects, and how you can participate, please fill in the form on the Contact Us section of the site.